Monday 30 November 2009

MARINA xvi

We saw a trampled shoot, a plinth
Without a column, and a flame
Guttering, one little but a name
Who would not quit her labyrinth.

God saw perfection - only this
Pearl, of this size, could deck the site
He had prepared for His delight
And for Marina's lasting bliss,

Only through working in these ways
Could He impinge with perfect skill
To work this pattern to His will
And gain from us eternal praise.

O depths of riches - what divine
Wisdom and power and love can do
Impels our worship as we view
How God secures His grand design!


July to September 1994.

Thank you, sisters in Christ and brother in the Lord, for your encouraging comments. Time has moved on and new pressures have been faced. And new joys - I posted Barrie's wedding verse on 5 February 2008. He now has a small son.

The verse I used is that used by Tennyson in "In Memoriam"; it is his wife who is buried in the same churchyard, and Tennyson Down is the most prominent hill - falling in a white cliff to the sea - in the area.

For elucidation of vii and xii I may post something tomorrow.

If elegies suit you - have a look at 27 June 2008, and 15 - 18 May 2009.

As for the weather - crisp and frosty here today; rainy much of last week, but no floods in this area. Dumfries and Galloway was bad; ta sound bad English but that's the name of one region. By the way I'm near Edinburgh but the computer thinks it's in Manchester. I'll get Craig to sort this for me next year, if the Lord will, when he comes here to preach.

2 comments:

  1. Aaaghh **sigh** I missed this blog, been busy with some projects, but back.. I had to laugh when I read "By the way I'm near Edinburgh but the computer thinks it's in Manchester" lol. I know that feeling.

    As we move to the final month of the year, I want to say a big thank you for your encouraging comments, for your teachings through your posts and precious poems. I might not comment a lot, but I really and utterly love them.

    Here is me praying that you finish this year strong and well in the mighty name of Jesus.

    Much love x

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear david..in a strange way, i think that i will miss your poems about marina.
    this last poem brought a little sadness into my heart as i read about the trampled shoot but as i read through to the end, i saw victory over death, and god's design for baby marina is without a flaw..it is his design and it is perfect!
    god bless you david, and i will now surely, when i get a moment, read the posts that you have suggested...christian love, terry

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad to hear how this strikes you!