Saturday 21 January 2023

THE AUTHOR'S REQUEST by Amey Hayward

Lord give me oil of thy free grace 

My vessel for to fill,

And help me to run out my race,

In doing of thy will.


Help me to cleanse my lamp about 

From all the stinking snuffs,

So that I may not wiffer out 

With any windy puffs.


But that my lamp it may burn clear,

To light me on the way,

That I may meet my Bridegroom dear,

Him to adore for aye.


Lord give me talents, two or five,

Which seemeth good to thee,

Them to improve, then I will strive,

Lord give them unto me.


But if it be thy pleasure, Lord,

To give to me but one,

And I should in the earth it hoard,

Then I shall be undone.


Therefore my God, for Jesus sake,

Give me a bigger portion,

And grant I may it double make,

Unto my great promotion.


Oh grant I may not be like him,

Which in his heart shall say,

My Lord delayeth for to come,

He will yet longer stay.


But that I may both watch and pray,

And waiting be also,

That when my Lord shall come, I may 

Be ready for to go.


(This follows a meditation on Matthew 25.)





More from south of Peebles, Scottish Borders


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm glad to hear how this strikes you!